Tokri Chaat Recipe or How to Make Katori Chaat
Need an appetizer or snack for a party, try katori chaat recipe or tokri chaat!! ‘Katori or tokri’ refers to a bowl or canopies that are filled with potatoes and chutneys and ‘chaat’ is the term used for savory Indian street snacks. No doubt making the fried version of katoris seem like a daunting task but the end product is D-licious. These crunchy savory bowls or shells will make your taste buds watery.
Below I have displayed two version of katoris – fried as well as baked. Baked version is much healthier and easy to make but the fried katoris are equally rocking. The dough requirement for both the katoris is different. Baked katoris dough needs milk/curd to keep it soft compared to fried ones that only needs water to knead the dough.
Follow the step by step tutorial below to make your yummy katoris. Allow them to cool down completely before stuffing.
Give them a try and they sure will be a hit at a dinner party, kid’s birthday party, game party or a kitty party. Make some extra katoris as believe me everyone in your family will crave for more.
- 2 cup maida / plain flour / all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil, hot
- water to knead
- oil for frying
FOR TOKRI CHAAT:
- 1 cup chickpea / chana, boiled
- 1 potato / aloo, boiled & cubed
- ¼ cup green chutney
- 1 cup moong sprouts
- ½ cup tamarind chutney
- 1 cup curd / yogurt
- Dahi Papdi Chaat or Papri Chaat
- sprinkle kashmiri red chilli powder
- sprinkle cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 to mato, finely chopped
- ½ cup sev
- few coriander leaves
- sprinkle chaat masala
- sprinkle salt
- firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 2 cup maida and ½ tsp salt. mix well.
- pour in 2 tbsp hot oil, over flour and crumble.
- add in water as required and prepare dough.
- prepare smooth and soft dough adding water as required.
- now pinch a ball sized dough, and flatten it.
- dust flour as required and roll slightly thick.
- prick the flattened dough with fork to avoid from puffing up while frying.
- place a small katori or cup and wrap the dough.
- trim off excess making sure the dough has covered well.
- deep fry in hot oil or bake in preheated oven at 180 degree celsius for 30 minutes.
- splash oil till the katori separates from the dough.now fry the katori dough, till it turns golden and crisp.
- drain off over kitchen paper and keep aside.
- prepare chaat by assembling katori in a plate.add in 1 tsp boiled chana, 1 tsp boiled and cubed potato, 2 tbsp moong sprouts, ½ tsp green chutney, 1 tsp tamarind chutney and 1 tbsp curd.
- also sprinkle chilli powder, cumin powder and salt.
- add in a tbsp of onion and tomato.garish with 2 tbsp sev, green chutney and few coriander leaves.
- finally, serve katori chaat immediately, sprinkling chaat masala over it.
- prepare katori before in hand and store in airtight container. prepare chaat just before serving.
- also, adding sprouts makes chaat more healthy and nutritious.
- additionally, fry the katori on low to medium flame to turn crisp and golden.
- finally, use the shape of katori of your choice to make small or large tokri chaat recipe.
Try this recipe at home for any upcoming occasion and please comment below how you liked it.