Sheer Khurma Recipe,It’s almost Eid and I couldn’t do without sharing this classic Eid dessert on the blog this week. Sheer Khurma is a rich vermicelli pudding made with milk, lots of nuts, dates and sugar!
The dish literally means milk with dates. Its often made during Eid in the Indian subcontinent, Afghanistan and also parts of central Asia. Eid festivities are kind of incomplete until and unless you have Sheer Khurma!
- 500 ml milk or 2 cups full fat organic milk
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon sugar or as required (the dates and raisins add a lot of sweetness to the milk, so add sugar accordingly.)
- ½ cup broken seviyan (whole wheat vermicelli)
- 7 to 8 cashews, chopped
- 8 to 9 almonds, sliced
- 8 to 9 unsalted pistachios, sliced
- powder in a mortar-pestle.
Also check:How To Make Rasmalai
How to Make Sheer Khurma Recipe
1. Roast the seviyan till golden and keep aside. If you want then you can roast the seviyan in ghee also. In the same pan. Heat ghee. And add chopped dry fruits (chopped dates, raisins, cashews, almonds, pistachios, chironji) and saute for 3-4 minutes.
2. Heat milk in a saucepan or a heavy pot. Let the milk come to boil. Lower the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the milk slightly thickens. Keep on stirring the milk at intervals. Add the roasted seviyan and sugar to the milk and simmer till the seviyan are cooked and are softened…. About 8-10 minutes.
3.Transfer back the fried nuts into the pan and mix. Also add the rose water and mix. And also the cardamom powder. Cook for 2-3 more minutes on medium-low heat and then turn off the heat.
4. You can also garnish the sheer khurma with saffron stands or rose petals or powdered cardamom. Serve Sheer Khurma Recipe Hot warm or cold.