Semiya/Vermicelli Kesari Recipe is the best part is, it is quick to make and needs very little ghee unlike other kesari recipes.This semiya kesari is very easy to make, perfect to serve for guests too.After trying semiya upma, I confidently tried this semiya kesari and enjoyed it.I love all kesari recipes and the list justifies it 🙂
Semiya/Vermicelli Kesari Recipe is similar to preparing Rava kesari. you can Use any type of semiya like rice or whole wheat. just add water proportions as mentioned on the pack. I used rice vermicelli. Dry fruits can also be of your choice.
For the orange color, I have used both saffron and natural orange color extract. You can even use a few pinches of turmeric powder, if you do not have saffron. But turmeric powder will give you a yellow color, which is fine. Even just using saffron will give the kesari a yellow color.
If you are looking for similar recipes then you may like
Semiya(Fine Vermicelli) – 1 cup loosely packed
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Melted Ghee – 3 tsp
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
Saffron – 3 to 4 strands(optional)
Orange food color – just a tiny pinch
Cashewnuts – 6 broken
INSTRUCTIONS For Making Semiya/Vermicelli Kesari Recipe
1. Firstly, roast 1 cup vermicelli in 2 tbsp ghee on a low flame.
Also check:Sheer Khurma Recipe
2. Roast till the semiya turns golden brown in colour. keep aside.
3. Now in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee and roast 2 tbsp cashew and 1 tbsp raisins.
4. Once they turn golden brown, keep aside.
5. Now to the same kadai add 2 cup water and 2 tbsp saffron water. to prepare saffron water, soak few strands of saffron / kesar in 2 tbsp of warm water for 30 minutes.
6. Once the water comes to a boil, add roasted semiya and stir well.
7. Boil for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
8. Further, simmer for 5 minutes or till the semiya absorbs all the water.
9. Mix well, dissolving sugar completely. Continue to cook for further 5 minutes to absorb all the sugar.
10. Add in ¼ tsp cardamom and roasted cashew and raisins. mix well.
11. Finally, serve Semiya (Vermicelli) Kesari Recipe garnished with more kesar if required.
- I used fine vermicelli so needed only 1 and 1/2 cups of water.Water quantity may vary depending on the variety of vermicelli.
- Do not add sugar before the vemicelli gets cooked else the kesari will turn rubbery.
- Roasting vermicelli gives a nice aroma and also makes it non sticky and will avoid mushiness while getting cooked.
- Remember I measured the vermicelli only loosely packed so measure and adjust the ingredients according to your vermicelli measures.
- You can also add your favorite essence too but I love the plain cardamom flavour the best.
- If you like elachi flavour more, just skip saffron and add a generous pinch of cardamom powder.
- Semiya kesari doesn’t require much ghee like the other kesari recipes.
- This keeps well for 2 days if refrigerated after a day.And while serving just heat it up and drizzle little ghee and serve.