North Indian Chole Bhature Recipe
Chole Bhature also known as Chana Bhatura is one of the most popular Punjabi dish liked almost all over India. Chole means spiced tangy chickpea curry and Bhatura is a soft and fluffy fried leavened bread. Some people make puris instead of bhatura . Chole bhature recipe is easy and tasty.
Chana bhatura is a spicy , tasty and filling recipe . I have eaten this dish at many places but I like my mom’s special chole bhature . She made it with love and passion .
- 2 cup chickpeas (channas)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Bbay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 3-4 Cloves (laung)
- 1 tsp whole pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 Green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 Black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- turmeric powder (haldi) 1 Tbsp
- chili powder (lal mirch powder) 1 Tbsp
- coriander powder (dhaniya powder) 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- onions, chopped (1 cup)
- tomatoes, chopped (1 cup)
- ginger, chopped (1Tbsp)
- garlic, chopped (1 Tbsp)
- ajwain (1 Tbsp)
- lime juice(1 Tbsp)
- green chili, chopped
- Tea bag(1)
- 1 tbsp butter
For the bhaturas:
- 2 cups maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 tsp yeast dissolved for 10 minutes in luke warm water (optional )
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt
- Water (to knead)
- Oil (for frying)
- In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole pepper corns, green and black cardamom. All this spices will give nice flavour to our dish
- After it gets brown add chopped onions and saute it. Now add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Then we’ll use turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida and salt, and fry the ingredients together well.
- Add some water according to need don’t add to much water because it might affect the taste of our chole
- Now add the chole (which we have soaked overnight and pressure cooked) for the perfect masala.
- After stirring well add tomatoes, little sugar and salt to the chole.
- Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies and water for the base.
- To get the color in the chole, add a tea bag to the masala.
- Simmer the chole gently for an hour and cover it.
- Add lime juice and some butter in the gravy.
- Garnish the chole with coriander and butter you can also spread chopped onion over chole gravy which will make it more attractive and serve them hot with bhaturas.
Prepare the bhaturas:
- Take a sieve flour (maida ) make proper dough
- Sprinkle the yeast on top (optional). Leave it for 2-3 hours .
- I’ve make 2 equal portion of dough .
- And also Rolled out it in an oval or round shape.
- Fry until it becomes golden brown, like a puri.
Serve it in serving plate your dish is ready enjoy your chole bhature recipe with your family and friends.