How To Make Instant Crispy Homemade Jalebi with step by step photos. Amongst the array of Indian sweets, jalebi holds a prime position….
This recipe gives you one of the best homemade jalebis – crisp, crunchy, syrupy and juicy jalebi. The method shared here is the traditional method for making jalebi and is similar to the taste and texture of jalebis which we get in the miThai shops.
What is Jalebi?
Jalebi is a spiral shaped crisp & juicy sweet that is made off all purpose flour, gram flour & suger syrup.
How To Make Instant Crispy Homemade Jalebi
To make jalebi, firstly a better is prepared using flour. Then it is fermanted for several hours to acquire a unique fermanted flavour.
Then it is better is poured to spirals or concentric circles in the hot oil. They are fried until crisp and then immersed in suger syrup.
They are 2 ways to make Jalebi:
1. Traditional method made by fermenting the better.
2. Instant version without fermentation I have shared to make both the methods in this post.
How to make best Jalebi?
The key to making crisp juicy & light jalebis is the consistency of better.You can make amazing jalebi at home if your better is prepared correctly. The consistency of the better must be free flowing yet thick.
I have this image to help you understand and fix the consistency if you have trouble making at right.
1. Strunk jalebi – over fried or fried on low heat. 2. Flat jalebi – oil not hot enough, made on low heat. 3. This & flat – runny batter. 4. Thick & soft jalebi – Too thick better.
I have shared how to fix the batter consistency in the recipe below.
INGREDIENTS for How To Make Instant Crispy Homemade Jalebi
FOR JALEBI BATTER:
- ½ cup all purpose flour / maida
- 1 tsp corn flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp yogurt / curd
- 5 tbsp water, or as required
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder / haldi / yellow food colour, optional
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp saffron strands / kesar, optional
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder / elachi powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- oil for deep frying
Also check:Semiya/Vermicelli Kesari Recipe
Instructions for How To Make Instant Crispy Homemade Jalebi
- firstly, take 1 cup sugar in a pan and add ¼ cup water.
- keep stirring on low flame, so that the sugar dissolves.
- boil the sugar syrup and add saffron.
- cook till you get one string consistency in the sugar syrup.
- once one string consistency is attained, switch off the flame and add ½ tsp lemon juice and cardamom powder. lemon helps to avoid crystallizing sugar syrup and keeps your jalebis crispy.
- firstly, in a mixing bowl, take ½ cup all purpose flour or maida, 1 tsp corn flour, 1 tsp curd and 1/8th tsp of food colour.
- mix all the above ingredients with a spoon.
- then add half tsp vinegar and 5 – 6 tsp water. the amount of water to be added slowly and as required.
- whisk well in round circular directions for 5 minutes. this adds volume to the batter and makes it even and smooth.
- now add ¼ tsp of baking soda and give a gentle mix.
- further small bubbles appear on the top. stir the batter lightly and it should have a flowing consistency.
- now pour this batter in the tomato ketchup bottles carefully.
- firstly, heat oil in a pan and add 1 tbsp of ghee. ghee gives a better flavour. make sure your pan is not too shallow and should be approximately 1 inch deep for frying jalebis.
- now squeeze the bottle and make round spirals with the batter.
- furthermore, when one side is partly cooked, turn over and fry the other side.
- also fry till the jalebis are a light golden. remove with a tongs and shake to drain the extra oil.
- then immediately drop the fried jalebis in the warm sugar syrup.
- finally, serve jalebi recipe hot, warm or at room temperature. store the leftovers jalebi in an airtight container and rrefrigerated.
- The best way to make Jalebi at home is to have the right consistency of your Jalebi batter. It should not be too thin or thick. Make sure your batter is of flowing consistency.
- Traditionally, the Jalebi batter is fermented for 10-12 hours in warmth. But, if you live in a cold place, you must ferment it for 24 hours.
- While frying the Jalebis, make sure your flame is on low, as high heat cannot make it cook from inside. This will also give you ample time to give your Jalebis the best shape.
- For Instant Jalebis, mix together all-purpose flour, corn flour, and a little turmeric. Then, add curd and water to it and whisk well in one direction to make a smooth batter.