Gujarati Khatta Dhokla Recipe
Gujarati Khatta Dhokla Recipe is a dhokla, where the batter is made with dahi and rice and dals, which is then fermented, and finally steamed. Finished of with a tadka of mustard and sesame seeds.
Although several ready mixes are available to do the job quickly, these cannot match the taste of traditional Khatta Dhokla made with a homemade batter.
- ¾ cup Long grain rice or basmati rice I used basmati
- ¼ Urad dal (Split skinless black gram)
- ½ inch Ginger
- 3-4 Green chilies
- 3 tablespoons Plain yogurt (dahi or curd), Sour
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- Also check:Dahi Papdi Chaat or Papri Chaat
How To Make Khatta Dhokla (Step By Step Recipe With Photos):
1) Wash rice and urad dal.
2) Soak them together about 5-6 hours.
3) after soaking time drain the water, add it to grinder along with yogurt, ginger and green chili. Grind it into a smooth batter by adding few tablespoons of water. Batter should be thick like idli batter.
4) Remove it to a bowl, cover it.
5) Let it ferment for 8 hours or overnight in warm place.
6) When you are ready to make dhokla, bring the water to a boil in steamer. Also grease the pan well with oil. I have used 9 inch cake pan with 1 1/2 inch high side.
7) Once steamer is ready, add oil and salt into fermented batter, mix.
8) Add soda, mix well.
9) Immediately pour into prepared pan.
10) Sprinkle some red chili powder, black pepper and cumin powder.
11) Steam it for 10 minutes. Check by inserting a knife or toothpick in it, if it comes out clean and then it is ready.
12) Let it cool for a minute or two. Then cut into square or diamond shape.
13) Remove it to plate and serve.