Gujarati Fafda Recipe with step by step pics. Fafda is a fried crispy crunchy tasty snack made with besan (gram flour), laced with carom seeds and black pepper. It is a popular Gujarati vegan snack. This recipe makes for fafda which tastes similar to the one you get outside.
- 2 cups besan / gram flour
- ¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- ¼ tsp baking soda / papad kharo
- 2 tbsp oil
- water to knead dough
- oil for deep frying
- Also check:How To Make Thalipeeth
how to make gujarati fafda with step by step photo:
1. firstly, in a large mixing bowl add in 2 cups besan, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp ajwain, ¼ tsp baking soda / papad kharo and salt to taste.
2. also add 2 tbsp oil and mix well.
3. further add warm water as required and knead.
4. knead for 5 minutes or till the dough turns soft and smooth
5. add a tsp oil and coat the dough well.
6. cover with moist cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
7. knead again for a minute making sure the dough is soft.
8. pinch a ball sized dough and make a cylindrical shape.
9. on a wooden board place the dough and stick one side.
10. press and stretch it thin with the help of palms in forward direction.
11. scrape off with the help of knife without damaging the fafda.
12. now deep fry in hot oil. do not over crowd the fafdas as they wont cook well.
13. stir occasionally keeping the flame on medium.
14. fry fafdas for a minute or two, till they turn golden and crispy.
15. finally, serve gujarati fafda recipe with green chutney or kadi.