Frankie With Aloo Tikki
Frankie With Aloo Tikki.When it comes to street-food, Frankies are the most sought-after wraps one can munch on. They are available in many variants, each filled with different ingredients and sauces. However, the Vegetable Frankie is still the most popular among all of them. And this Indian veg recipe will show you exactly how to make Vegetable Frankies.
for the Frankie With Aloo Tikki makes 5 to 6 aloo tikkis
- 3 medium sized potatoes or 300 grams potatoes
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder or 1 to 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder or ¼ teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon corn starch or rice flour or arrowroot flour or add as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon oil for frying the tikkis or as required
- salt as required
for the rotis – makes 4 to 5 rotis
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- water as required
- salt as required
for the sweet raita
- 1 cup fresh curd – whisked (yogurt)
- ⅔ to ¾ tablespoon sugar or add as required for more sweetness
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala or as required
- 2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
for the frankie stuffings
- 1 small to medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated (you can also add your choice of veggies)
- 2 to 3 pinches of salt for the onions
1.first prepare the curd/yogurt raita. Mix roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, chaat masala, sugar, coriander leaves in whisked curd.
2. In another bowl, add some salt to sliced onions. Mix and keep covered for 15 to 20 minutes. Mixing salt reduces the pungency of the onions.
3. Prep by grating carrots and keep aside.
4. Steam potatoes in a steamer or electric cooker or pressure cooker. The potatoes have to be cooked completely.
5. When the potatoes are cooking, knead 1 cup of whole wheat flour with oil, salt and water to a smooth dough. Cover and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes. You can also use surplus or leftover dough to make the rotis.
6. When the potatoes are still warm or cooled, peel and grate them in a bowl.
7. Add Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry ginger powder, corn starch, chaat masala and salt. Instead of corn starch, you can also add bread pulp (soaked and squeezed bread slices), rice flour or arrowroot flour. A point to remember is that when you add corn starch, the potato has to be cooled completely. Otherwise the mixture becomes sticky, if corn starch is added to hot or warm potatoes. A variation in the tikkis would also be to add steamed green peas.
8. Mix everything well.
9. divide the mixture into small or medium shaped patties. You can apply some oil on your palms when making the patties or tikkis.
10. heat 2 tbsp oil till its medium hot in a tava or a shallow frying pan. Gently place the aloo tikkis and pan fry them.
11. when one side of tikki becomes golden and crisp, turn over and fry the other side of tikki.
12. Gently flip for a couple of times till the aloo tikkis are golden and crisp evenly.
13. Once done, then drain the aloo tikkis on paper towels to remove excess oil.
14. Pan fry all the tikki this way and keep aside.
15. Take medium sized balls from the dough and roll to a thin chapati on a lightly dusted rolling board.
16. Place a a tava/griddle inverted on the stove top. Its easier to lift thin rotis on an inverted tava. The rotis which I made were not very thin like roomali roti. You can also cook the rotis the way you cook them regularly on a tava.
Also check:GRILLED OR BAKED MURGH MALAI TIKKA?
17. Gently place the rolled thin chapati on the hot tava. When you see small blisters and bubbles appearing, flip and cook the other side. You can flip a couple of times, till the roti is cooked well. However, don’t over do since the rotis are thin and they be will become crisp like papads, if you do extra roasting.
18. Apply some oil if you want. Make rotis this way and stack them up in a roti basket. cover and keep aside.
19. In a plate, place one roti. Place two tikkis in the center of the roti.
20. Top the tikkis with the grated carrots and sliced onions.
21. Pour the sweet yogurt raita in the center of the tikkis in a straight line.
22. Sprinkle some chaat masala on top.
23. Bring together both sides of the roti and secure with a toothpick. Prepare all the veg frankie this way.
24. Serve Frankie With Aloo Tikki with the remaining yogurt raita.