Bhel Puri Recipe | How to make bhel Puri
Bhel Puri is a very popular Mumbai street food and very easy to make at home. It is a tasty and chatpata snack made with puffed rice to which many delectable tidbits are added. My bhel puri recipe comes together under 45 minutes with three real quick chutney recipes.
Two kinds of Bhel Puri
1. Wet Bhel Puri
Wet bhel or bhel puri is called as ‘geela bhel’ in Hindi. This is a wet bhel puri recipe where chutneys are added with onions, tomatoes and boiled potatoes.
2. Dry Bhel Puri
Dry bhel puri is called as ‘sukha bhel‘ in Hindi. In a dry bhel puffed rice is mixed with roasted peanuts, masala chana dal, spice powders, puri and sev. In the Dry Bhel You simply do not include any liquid chutneys.
- 2 cup murmura / puffed rice / churumuri
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ potato / aloo, boiled & cubed
- 3 papdi, crushed
- 3 tbsp mixture
- 2 tbsp fried peanuts
- 2 tbsp tomato, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tamarind chutney / imli chutney
- 2 tbsp green chutney
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sev
- 1 tsp coriander, finely chopped
firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 2 cups murmura. dry roast murmura if they are not crisp.
add ½ onion, ½ potato, 3 crushed papdi, 3 tbsp mixture and 2 tbsp fried peanuts.
also add 2 tbsp tomato, ½ tsp chaat masala, ¼ tsp chilli powder and ¼ tsp salt.
mix well making sure the spices are combined well.
further add 3 tbsp tamarind chutney, 2 tbsp green chutney and 1 tsp lemon juice.
mix well without turning murmura soggy.
add 2 tbsp sev and give a mix.
finally, enjoy bhel puri topped with few crushed papdi and garnished with onion, coriander.
- firstly, make sure to mix quickly, else the murmura will turn soggy and not be crisp.
- also, adjust the amount of green chutney, depending on the spice level,
- additionally, add a generous amount of fried peanuts for crunchy bites.
- finally, bhel puri recipe tastes great when prepared spicy and crunchy as served in streets of india.